What I Have Learned

Working with children from different backgrounds requires us to take a flexible approach to teaching. What I have planned for the day may not connect to the students in a way that is helpful because if a cultural disconnect, difference in vocabulary or background knowledge, or because it brings up a microaggression I was not aware of. That’s why planning with inclusion in mind is essential, but so also is the flexibility to modify a lesson when that disconnect or oppression is witnessed. A goal I have moving forward from this course is to be more intentional in my planning and implementation throughout the school year to not just focus on teaching students reading, writing, and math, but also broaden their ideas about the world in a meaningful way that is relevant to their lives. When we as teachers intertwine the academics with social justice and inclusion, we can make time for empowering advocacy.
            My hope, then, is to be effective in sending students to third grade able to stand up for one another, support each other’s learning, and look past the surface differences to gain relationships based on that shared desire for improving their world. I believe as a parent, I am working to raise world-changers, and that hope extends from my own children to my students. I want them to understand what they do at 7 and 8 years old impacts their lives and those around them, and that they are not too young to understand or bring about change.
            Many thanks to my classmates for their insights, discussions, and sharing their stories. I have learned much through your experiences and our interactions. I a grateful for those who challenged me to look beyond my limitations and explore new ideas. My hope for each of you is that continued resilience as we take what we have learned and begin the hard work of creating change in our professional lives. Big changes can happen with small but consistent changes, but each change begins when we take that first step outside our comfort zone. Thank you for pushing me to be uncomfortable, and I wish you each the best in your journey.

Comments

  1. Jessica,
    Great final blog. I am also a firm believer and inclusion during planning. We must be able to reach all students. I also believe that the lessons should be differentiated enough so that all levels will benefit. My take away from your blog is that you are really concerned about the welfare of your students and you will do whatever it takes to bring out the best in all of them. That is a wonderful trait to have as an anti-bias teacher.
    Let me take the time now to wish you success in all that you do. I hope that the goals that you set for yourself will become reality and that you will continue to impact your students in life changing ways. It has been a pleasure interacting with you through your blogs and your discussion posts.
    Enjoy the rest of your journey.
    Angela Robb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessica! I enjoyed reading your blog for this week. I didn't know that you are a second grade teacher. I would like to thank you for your insights on my blogs and discussion posts. You have been a wonderful classmate and friend and I wish you good luck on your journey. C. Curry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica,
    Great Post!!!! You are completely right you have to be flexible with your teaching. Incorporating things that will catch the children's attention will help them grasp the learning concepts.
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jessica,
    your post is so inspiring. Being second grade teacher is not easy when I compare to my position as Kindergarten teacher. Your children are able to get a lot if information because they can read and write. I cannot imagine how to face a lot of critic from them, because they are informed a lot. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    Uti

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Start Seeing Diversity: Creating Art

Gender, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation