Relationship Reflections

Image result for be who you are and say what you feel
This quote may seem a little unorthodox, but it is truly how I approach relationships. The core in any relationship,  must be truthfulness and authenticity. There is nothing more important in my opinion than being true to yourself, and presenting yourself as exactly who you really are. When you can really be who you are, you can develop lasting quality relationships and partnerships. These partnerships are essential for career success, emotional well-being, and for making a difference in the life of someone outside yourself.








My husband Charlie and I have been married almost 15 years. He is my rock, my partner, and my very best friend. We met in college, and anyone who knew us then would say we were opposites. What we have learned over the years, however, is that if we reserve judgement and remain open to communication, we are actually far more alike. A positive relationship not only supports, but helps you move forward in life. In our marriage, we've been through some very difficult life changes, and by leaning on each other been able to improve ourselves as well as each other.




There is a unique relationship between moms and their children.  Some days our relationship is positive, and others it tests my very sanity. But despite the roller coaster that is parenting, they continue to remind me how fun and interesting life can be. One thing that contributes to us maintaining a positive relationship as they grow is setting standards in our house for both respect and time. They understand that despite how busy I may be, I will take time for them when they need me. They also know though that we must always be accountable for our actions. 


This is my longest running co-worker. She and I had to develop a positive relationship early on as my students go on to work with her in third grade. She is supportive, and holds herself to a high professional standard, which challenges and raises the bar for all of us. We work together daily, but have to be purposeful to meet in order to maintain a smooth transition for students and facilitate cooperation between our hallways.





One of the best things about working at a school is creating positive relationships with the students and teams of teachers during theme weeks such as Read Across America Week. Our team works hard, but also finds the joy and humor in our work. When the school year is challenging, it is these silly times that build those networks between staff in order to support each other and work together to benefit the students.




Some of the challenges to maintaining these important relationships over time include the changes life brings. One of my team members was recently replaced due to medical need, and the changing team dynamic combined with already challenging child-family-school partnerships disrupted our effectiveness. In addition, adding a new team member midyear brings to light expectations and biases that come from working with the same group of people for years. We continue to find our way to forming positive partnerships with the new member.  Professional accountability means recognizing our faults, and giving of ourselves in order for the whole team to succeed. Because our team is working toward one common goal- to help students learn to read successfully, this helps us navigate our professional challenges and become more effective educators. Then we can focus as a cohesive team on forming and maintaining the most important relationships- those with our students and their families.

Comments

  1. I love how you started off your blog post with a quote from Dr. Seuss. That's one of my favorite quotes. I agree with you when you stated.... "When you can really be who you are, you can develop lasting quality relationships and partnerships. These partnerships are essential for career success, emotional well-being, and for making a difference in the life of someone outside yourself". I tell my daughter all the time, you can only be yourself, and don't ever try to be anyone else. I feel if you are not true in the beginning of any relationship/partnership it will not be organic. In order for any partnership to work, you must start off truthful, respectful and be yourself! Great blog post Mrs. Shivers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I Have Learned

Start Seeing Diversity: Creating Art

Gender, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation