My Family Culture

If a major catastrophe had devastated my country and I had to leave as a refugee, I would take these three items:
This Angel Necklace
This was a joint gift from my mom and my mother-in-law. My mother-in law gave the charm, and my mother supplied the chain. It represents the coming together of our blended families, and is something I could pass down to my children. It helps me remember to focus on what is good in my life, and the angel reminds me there is always someone who loves me, regardless of where I go.

My Cookbook
This cookbook contains my families favorite dishes. Years ago for a class I compiled copies of recipe cards from generations of great cooks, and we refer back to it often for what is considered the best of comfort food in my home. Food is central to every family gathering of ours, and a way to relive important memories as well as teach lessons from my grandmothers.

The Family Storybook
My father assembled this book based on years of research tracing my family back 600 years and chronicling their immigration into the United States. It covers why my family came, the hardships and successes of leaving everything behind to start over. I could take inspiration from this book as I start over as well.

If, on arrival, I could only keep one item, it would be my necklace. I would be upset to give up the books, especially the family history. However, history has been passed down since the beginning of man by storytelling and in a refugee situation, that oral tradition is what would carry us through. Many of my best memories are when my whole family gets together and the storytelling starts. Which of us did the most outrageous stunts as a kid, that mystery we pulled off that my parents still cannot solve, our most meaningful vacations, and memories of lost relatives- these are the stories that never get old no matter how often they are retold. These are the stories I would carry with me in my heart even without the books.

Stuff is just stuff, but what is most essential in my family are the things money cannot buy, memories. I am learning we are surrounded by things that do not matter. Society says more, more, more, but in reality when we have less we focus on what is most important, the relationships around us.

Comments

  1. Great post Jessica,

    Each item was carefully analyzed and deserved to go with you to the new country. You are absolutely right in saying that in many cultures the way history is passed down is through oral traditional story-telling. In parts of Africa the person bestowed the honor of learning their tribal history is called a Griot. The Griot has the difficult task of learning all of the history, stories, and rules of the traditions in their culture and you are right it is a way of chronicling culture. In the end, bringing the thing that reminds you of home in your heart is important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I Have Learned

Start Seeing Diversity: Creating Art

Gender, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation