Perspectives on Diversity and Culture


I contacted five people from a variety of backgrounds and ask for their personal definition of both culture and diversity. These were their responses:
Ella:
Culture is everything that embodies an ethnic background.  Whether it be the type of food, clothing, music, etc.  It represents their beliefs and way of life.
Diversity is what makes everyone unique and different.  Everyone has their own thoughts and ideas, sense of style and taste.
Summer:
Culture- I believe a person’s culture is their traditions, their way of life. It can be based on how they were raised, the community they live in, or just something they’ve adapted for themselves & their family. It can be in their clothing, food, holidays, beliefs, attitude towards life, how they live, etc...
Diversity is having different cultures, races, beliefs, religions, nationalities, loves, etc... I think it just means having a difference from someone or something else.
Nera:
Culture is a way of life - a lifestyle. As in there's Caribbean or Southern culture which would be the food and the arts and the music which wouldn't just belong to a "race" of people.
Diversity, to me, would be the inclusion of all cultures and subcultures. Thinking of the South in particular, because I live here now, there's Southern culture, generally speaking, but there's differences and some overlap between Southern whites and blacks.
Ann:
Culture is the language, traditions, daily interactions, that happen in a person’s family. They can be influence by genetics, neighborhoods, or personal preference.
Diversity is ensuring that there are representatives from different races, cultures, sexes, orientations in any place whether it be your town, work, group, or circle of friends
Rachel:
To me, culture refers to the customs of a particular group of people.  For instance, I belong to an age group that, in our teens, were really in to rock music.  In some instances, the cultural group helps define our values.  For example, my beliefs cause me to adhere to a certain set of standards that may be very different from those of another religion.
To me, what diversity means is that I can have different values, beliefs, and financial security than someone or some group and be ready to have conversations with those who are different from me.  To me, diversity means I can listen, learn, and be friends with people who are different from me without judgement on either side.

Analysis
These five people span three generations, range from financially struggling to wealthy, and have earned from an associate’s degree to a master’s education. They are a mix of Black, White, and Asian. All are heterosexual women, and only 3 have children. These five people brought up a few similar points. Three of the five noted culture as a way of life, which I took as a nod toward the more expansive definition of culture that includes the daily activities, and how we approach life. Much of their analysis also involves the more surface level culture (Derman-Sparks and Edwards, 2010). For example, three of the five respondents mentioned food in their definition of culture. Others told me about religious preference, clothing, and language. They all talked about differences as a way to describe diversity.
While the answers received shared a common thread relating to acceptance, they omit important aspects of culture and diversity. Aspects of culture such as gender roles, ability, and expectations were not mentioned but are nonetheless important in helping to better know ourselves and our students. Only one person noted the vital aspect of overlapping culture, and even that person referenced the overlap as between Black and White, not within a person’s identity. What I am realizing is just how truly invisible some of these aspects of culture and identity can become, which reminds me we must be purposeful in our planning and interactions with students. Similarly, as I am challenged to look more reflectively at my own culture, there is no reason I cannot begin to challenge the omissions or beliefs of those around me. These challenges are especially important as four of the five are parents, so they too are shaping the next generation’s views of culture.

Reference:
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Comments

  1. Hi Jessica,
    Thank you for providing several different perspectives and opinions on culture and diversity. I agree with you that many people those you interviewed, those I interviewed and those interviewed by our colleagues seem to all have certain aspects of culture and diversity missing. For example, many of my interviewees had similar definitions and maybe only one touched upon elements of deeper culture. It seems most of my interviewees like myself, noticed the surface culture aspects. It does go to show that many people examine culture from a surface level not examining the things that can connects us, like how we parent our children, how we run our households or the values we may share. I agree with you that as early childhood educators we must do more to educate our children and families so that they may go out into the communities and debunk stereotypes they may hear or see in the media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I Have Learned

Start Seeing Diversity: Creating Art

Gender, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation