Start Seeing Diversity: Creating Art

This is a poem I put together to represent my learning and growth through the Start Seeing Diversity videos (Laureate Education, 2011) and the topics explored in the blog assignments. It is meant to chronicle the transitions from biased thinking through my realization of areas I could improve. My aim was to focus on the awakened realization of bias and how to move from a place of naivete toward creating a more inclusive approach to teaching.
Reference:
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Start seeing diversity. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

It’s Not About Me
It’s not about me,
I live in the home of the brave
In the land of the free,
I never owned a slave,
Look all the way back in my family tree

It’s not about me,
I’m just a teacher,
I help kids to count one, two, three.
How could I be an intolerant child of a preacher?
I’m not even a person of color so you can plainly see.

Its not about me,
When I see an “other” I practice tolerance,
I teach diversity.
Whenever I happen to get a chance,
People should be treated fair, I agree.

But wait.
My inaction helps continue the hate.

There’s so much more to reflect about,
I found bias in my thinking,
My privilege gives me clout,
I have practices that need resyncing,
Reactions to people leave my good intentions in doubt.

Where is the diverse picture?
Are they learning through experience?
With which students and I stricter?
Am I to busy with my weariness?
Do the activities and learning modes represent a mixture?

So just maybe it is about me,
I must learn to be more inclusive,
Advocating against oppression is key.
Why is family culture in my classroom so elusive?
Each student should be represented; I need more equity.

Age and ability,
Sexual orientation,
Race and ethnicity,
Gender, class, or station,
Religion or family,
We must end the bias perpetuation,
And as a teacher, it actually does start with me.

Comments

  1. Jessica,
    Your blog was truly a masterpiece! Beautifully done. I like the line in which you stated that inaction helps to promote the hate. In Harro’s Cycle of Socialization he stated that when we fail to challenge and we live with the status quo, or when fail to make waves, we choose not to do nothing and the cycle continues. (Harro, 2010)
    Great blog.
    Angela.

    Reference:

    Harro, B. (2010). The cycle of socialization. In M. Adams, W. Blumenfeld, C. Castaneda, H. W.
    Hackman, M. L. Peters, & X. Zuniga (Eds.), Readings for diversity and social justice
    (Figure 6.1 on p. 46, 2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica! I enjoyed reading your blog for this week. I love your poem! It is so diverse and represent diversity to the point. I would like to print and laminate your poem and hang it in my classroom if that's okay? Other than that, nice poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, that’s fine. I wasn’t sure about writing it, but am excited about how it turned out. Nice idea, this would be good to have as a reminder in my space at work.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jessica,
    Great Poem!!!!! Your poem is very inspirational, it took a lot of thought and effort to make such a wonderful poem. Your poem described everything that I feel about being an educator.
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I Have Learned

Gender, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation